THE CAPE COD STORE.COM logo
THE CAPE COD STORE.COM logo
THE CAPE COD STORE.COM graphic logo
East Chop (Telegraph Hill), Lighthouse,
Oak Bluffs, MA (Martha's Vineyard)
*Dates of operation~~ 1877-present
*Building Material~~ Cast iron
*Tower~~ 40 feet
*Elevation~~ 41 feet above sea level
*Markings~~ White w/ black lantern
*Light Pattern~~ Three second green flash followed by three second eclipse
*Existing Buildings~~ None
*Automated~~ 1933
*Original Lens~~ Fourth Order Fresnel
*Current Lens~~ 300mm
*Open to Public?~~ Yes
*Current Owner~~ U. S. Coast Guard lease to Martha's Vineyard Museum
*Waterway Location~~ Vineyard Haven Harbor, Nantucket Sound
*Significant Feature~~ (The word "chop" is a 17th century English word meaning an
entrance to a channel.)  Prior to this official lighthouse, a lighthouse was built and run for
seven years at this spot and funded by local merchants. When it burned down in 1871, a
new light was placed on top of a house and again funded by the local community. In 1877,
the house was torn down and replaced with the existing "official" government tower.

       LINKS
Official Lighthouse Site
http://www.marthasvineyardhistory.org/eastchop.php

National Park Service
http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/light/eastchop.htm  

Jeremy D'Entremont's lighthouse info and history
http://www.newenglandlighthouses.net/east-chop.html

New England Lighthouse Wallpaper Guide's lighthouse page
http://home.comcast.net/~debee2/mass/EastChop.html
BACK TO MASSACHUSETTS LIST
BACK TO STATES LISTING
BACK TO ALPHABETICAL INDEX
East Chop Lighthouse
BACK TO  
THE CAPE COD
STORE.COM
the cape cod store.com's
Lighthouse Encyclopedia
Website and all contents (c) copyright 2004-2014 Sand and Sea Enterprises, all rights reserved. All contents restricted for any
other use without the express written consent of its owner.
HOME       SITE MAP       FREE MONTHLY NEWSLETTER        CONTACT US           PRIVACY POLICY             LINKS